Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Most Overrated Movies

According to the website listverse.com, these are the top 5 overrated movies of all time. We want your opinion. Feel free to add to the list. What you name as the most overrated movie of all time. In the meantime, here's what the website has to day.

#1.) "Apocalypse Now" (1979): "Terribly acted, stilted, and somehow managed to be ludicrously over dramatic without any drama. Yet this movie is widely considered one of the 100 best of all time and is lauded for its star power."
#2.) "Clerks" (1994): "There were sections of this film that were hilarious, but there were twice as many that weren't funny at all. This was an impressive independent film, but nothing that should have achieved the near epic status it enjoys."
#3.) "Titanic" (1997): "A long and boring soap opera without good acting. Flat cardboard characters, and the all time cliché of a tragic love story between two star-crossed lovers."
#4.) "Chicago" (2002): "This was an entertaining picture, but Best Picture? Really? . . . This film was fun if you like a musical, but it's hardly a best picture."
#5.) "Shakespeare in Love" (1998): "Keep in mind that this was the movie that kicked the butt of 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Dark City', 'American History X', and 'The Big Lebowski' all around the awards shows.

Comments?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have to add Dirty Dancing to that list!

Anonymous said...

THE ABSOLUTE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN (AND ENDED UP SLEEPING THROUGH THE SECOND HALF) IS GHOST BUSTERS.

Anonymous said...

Rocky Horror Picture Show, Platoon, Over-rated in my book

Anonymous said...

The Departed was absolutly THE most overrated movie ever. the acting was bad, every second word was swaring,and really haven't we seen this plot line a million times before?

Anonymous said...

Something About Mary, Shrek, Training Day, Castaway etc...... So many that have been hyped up that by the time I saw them I thought they were bloody awful or way overrated and questioned my friends sanity for thinking they were great.

Peter Harrison said...

Lost in Translation. Did anyone get that movie?

Anonymous said...

"Terms of Endearment" my bf & I saw this in the theatre and both thought it was bad. I saw it again, many years later on tv and didn't change my mind...

Also, Peter I agree, Lost in Translation was lost on me.

Anonymous said...

I try to see most of the Academy Award nominated movies, and I have to say I agree with you, Peter - "Adaptation" was so WEIRD!! I was thinking of leaving part way through but thought that since everyone was raving about it, perhaps it had a good ending - NOT! Just made me more confused.

Another Academy Award nominee which I found highly overrated was "Sideways". Everyone was saying how funny it was and they loved it. I had a hard time getting through all the whining of Paul Giamatti and Thomas Hayden Church. What a bore! Although I did like Virginia Madsen's performance.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Peter, I was thinking Adaptation, not Lost in Translation when I read your blog. Also agree about Lost in Translation - I just thought maybe it was "too deep" for me!

Anonymous said...

SOLARIS with J. Clooney! What a waste of time, a huge disappointment! I even got sick of Clooney's face, movie was THAT bad!