Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tipping for the holiday season.

Tis the season for holiday tipping, but how much should you give the hired help? Thank goodness for this handy little guide to how much you should hand out to hired hands ...
• Babysitter ... 1 evening's pay plus small gift from the child.
• Child's Teacher ... Gift (but check school's policy to see if it's allowed).
• Courier ...$15-$25 (if you get regular deliveries).
• Daycare Providers ... $25-$70 each plus small gift from the child.
• Dog Walker ... Cost of 1 session.• Gardener ... $20-$50.
• Hairdresser ... Cost of 1 cut (or $20-$100) if you go frequently, plus a small gift.
• Housekeeper ... 1 week's pay or more (depending on length of service).
• Mail Carrier ... Gifts under $20 (normally not allowed to accept cash).
• Manicurist ... Cost of 1 session (or $10-$50), plus a small gift.
• Nanny ... 1 week's to 1 month's pay plus a small gift from the child.
• Newspaper Carrier ... $15-$25 for daily delivery ($5-$15 for weekend delivery).
• Personal Trainer ... $25 or cost of 1 session.
• Trash Collector ... $15-$20 each.
That’s a whole lot of loot spread around to a lot of people. Do they all deserve it? What professions that normally aren’t tipped should be?

– CNN/”Money”NET: http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/holiday_tipping/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We shouldn't be tipping at coffee shops! We don't tip at other fast food restaurants and they essentially do more than someone who pours coffee (get drinks, french fries, put the order in the bag), why should we tip for coffee when they usually mess up the order anyway? I used to work as a cashier at a grocery store and would bag groceries - sometimes $100's of dollars worth, which is more work than putting together a coffee, and never got tipped.

Anonymous said...

I do house cleaning and have for years for the same people, I wouldn't say I get tips. I get gifts or nothing, and some of the gifts I have no use for or am allergic to. I just have the " The thought was there" attitude for those that do and the "Out of sight out mind" for those that don't. I hardly see most of the people, and I often wonder if I should leave them xmas cards, I have 12 clients that I clean for regularly, what is the etiquette for that? Does anyone know?