Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Is Bottled Water Going Out Of Style?

Americans buy more than 500 million bottles of water every week, making it the second most purchased beverage in the country after soda.

But according to a recent CNN story, bottled water is facing a backlash, mainly because all these bottles aren't doing the environment any good. Even though most bottles are recyclable, 80% of them end up in landfills.

So environmentalists want you to switch to tap water. In a YouTube video called "The Story Of Bottled Water," a woman named Annie Leonard says, quote, "Carrying bottled water is on its way to being as cool as smoking while pregnant."

Here's why: First of all, bottled water is 2,000 TIMES more expensive than tap water. But half the time, it's lower quality. And in blind taste tests, people almost always prefer tap.

One of the reasons for the difference: Bottled water is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration. But tap water is monitored by the Environmental Protection Agency, and they generally have stricter regulations.

In fact, there's no telling WHAT might be in a bottle of water. There's a book called "Bottled And Sold: The Story Behind Our Obsession With Bottled Water", and it lists over 100 bottled water recalls.

According to the book, bottled water's been recalled for containing all kinds of nasty stuff, including mold, bacteria, glass particles, and even CRICKETS.

And here's the kicker: Half the time, you're drinking tap water anyway. Aquafina, is owned by Pepsi, and Dasani is owned by Coca-Cola, and they're just filtered tap water.

(CNN.com)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Call me crazy but I can't stand tap water I ONLY drink bottled and it can only be certain types of bottled too. One type I will NOT drink is Tim Hortons bottled water, it tastes like chalk! gross.:)My kids don't drink tap either I buy Brita containers for their drinks. I don't drink from the brita either. I am very picky:)

Karolina said...

We've stopped buying bottled water because we're on a well now, but when we lived in the city we only drank bottled water because tap water is disgusting. It tastes funny and there's no telling what is in there. There's been plenty of stories done on tap water on how there are different levels of pills filtered in with the water which was affecting the hormones of kids. Now the story is that bottled water is just as bad, you can't keep up. I mean I know that bottled water is just tap water from somewhere's else but it tastes a whole lot better, perhaps it's because the filtering process is better? The kicker that I always get is Evian, which is naive spelled backwards.

Anonymous said...

What about the pop bottles? Nothing is ever said about them. And I thought we are recycling the water bottles so none should be going into the landfills, what is up with that, something is not sounding correct.

Tanya said...

I used to buy about 3 bottles of water a day and then refill from a water cooler at my job. Recently, my roommate got a reverse osmosis sytstem installed by a company called Eco Water Nova Scotia. I never realized how "un-pure" & dirty the bottled water tasted until we got that system. Now, I take the water from home in the refillable bottles that we got with the system. The guy that installed it for us gave us alot of information on diff drinking water sources, things that I would never had otherwise thought about, I would recommend checking out their website http://ecowaterns.ca/residential.htm. The water tastes really clean and pure.