Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Moya's Australian/Tazmanian Adventure

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in, thought I'd see how you all are doing.

I've hit a really good stretch of good weather in Tasmania, it was 30 degrees today and will be until Saturday, not a cloud in the sky. We have to be very careful about sunscreen here, the thinnest layer of the ozone is actually over Tasmania. We went to the beach today with spf 30 and we still got sun, then we went to a friend of my sister's who has a swimming pool. They live on a wildlife reserve and we got very close to a wild podaroo, which is the smallest in the kangaroo family. It is a marsupial but the one we saw today was only a baby so nothing in the pouch.

Yesterday was Australia Day, so a holiday for everyone and we had a barbecue party, yes Brad we roasted shrimp on the Barbie!! I'm having a little trouble staying awake after 10pm, I'm awake wide eyed at 5am here, my clock is totally turned around, I hope it comes back as easily as it turned around. Anyway, yesterday before the party we went to Bonorong Wildlife Park and I got to see animals I have never seen in my lifetime, many I had never heard of, here's a list, wombats, Tasmanian devils, koala bears, kangaroo's, emus, quolls, echidna's, Kate barron geese, wallabies, pademelons, a sulfar crested cockatoo's, sugar gliders, magpies, superb fairy wren, wedge tailed eagles. I've seen black cockatoo's in Cawley's backyard, they are very prevalent here. I saw a Grey Goshawk in her backyard and they are very rare. I was very excited to see many of the animals but sad to learn of the facial tumor disease threatening extinction of the Tasmanian Devil, they spread the disease amongst themselves and they say the animal can be gone in the next 7 - 10 years. Warner Brother's gave the devils a bad name, they are apparently more afraid of us than we are of them. The Kangaroo's were very friendly, I got to feed and pet many, there were several with babies in their pouches and unlike we see in the cartoons, babies don't stick their heads out of the pouches but their tails and legs, it is very weird. I took pictures so you could see later.

I am very excited to be here with my sister who has been here for 23 years, We get to see her every couple of years when she comes home to Canada, but then I have to share her with the rest of my family, this way I get to spend all of my time with her and her husband and their daughter, (my neice and goddaughter), Isabella. I'm loving the long walks, long talks and this entire life that is world's away from mine. Isabella is a gorgeous 13 year old with the sweetest voice and Australian accent, I can talk to her for hours.

One thing I am noticing is that Australian houses are much smaller than houses in Canada. We have come to realize that the reason is because the outside is their house for most of the year, they don't need big houses. My sister's house is overlooking the ocean, it is high on the hill with a spectacular view, there are no houses below her, only the trail to the beach, it takes two minutes to get there, but it's a steep crawl back up the hill. Anyway, the view is worth the trek. This house is a true getaway that they live in year round.

The Australian Open is all the talk around here, I'm sure you are talking about it as well.

I miss you all, I miss my family, but this is definitely a trip of a lifetime and I am making the most of the time.

Love to you all,
Moya

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moya, it sounds like you are having a fabulous time, sure wish I was there right about now at -13.
love reading the update of your trip, sounds like a wonderful place to visit.

Judy B

Anonymous said...

Great update Moya! I thought of that tremendously long flight, and wondered if your internal clock would ever return to normal. I have Internet Friends in the Tazzy area, so I was introduced to some of the culture, and saw some pictures before, but never heard of half the animals you named. Not once did you mention those furry creatures that are up when you are, at 5AM! I'll be following your adventures, if Peter continues to pass them on. Enjoy your trip, and time with family.
-=Rasta=-