Wednesday, February 16, 2011

LISTENER E-MAIL: My Son Plays With Barbies

We recieved this e-mail from a listener looking for your opinion.

Dear Breakfast Club,

My little one just turned 5 years old. He's had lots of friends in pre-school, both boys and girls, but this year he has pretty much completely stopped playing with the boys and is only interested in playing with his little girl friends.

On top of that, one of the little girls recently left some of her Barbies over at our house and now he plays with them 24 hours a day and doesn't want to give them back. He even told his father that he wished Barbie's clothes were big enough to fit him!

I don't really know if this is a phase or if I should intervene or if I'm even supposed to care at all.

What do you think I should do? Should I discourage playing with girls and all their toys? Do I leave him alone? I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks Breakfast Club, I love your show and look forward to hearing what your listener's have to say.
Barbara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd leave him alone, I know my little guy will play with both "boy" toys and "girl" toys (yes barbies too). He's just going through a stage, he's only 5 don't sweat it yet.

Anonymous said...

If I were you I would keep an open mind your son is going to be who ever he is going to be and no matter what you do you can't change that. When we have children our main goal for them it to be happy and healthy. As long as hes happy then let him be. There are so many unhappy people out there today because they can't just be themselves. Let him be who he is going to be, support his interests and goals and most of all let him know you love him no matter what.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about it and let him enjoy himself and the toys. If it were a little girl playing with trucks and wanting to wear overalls you probably wouldn't think twice.

He's curious, having fun and perfect just as he is.