Thursday, February 24, 2011

LISTENER E-MAIL:

Stay-at-Home Dad

OK, I have a problem that I really need help with. I am about to marry the most amazing man. He's kind, supportive, and very nurturing -- all the qualities you could ask for.

I can't wait to marry him and start having kids right away ... There's this one thing: He wants to be a stay-at-home dad when the kids come.

I know this is terrible, and I should be more modern in my thinking, but I just can't deal with the fact that he wants to stay at home with the kids.

We both have good jobs and I'm lucky that I wouldn't have to necessarily give mine up, but I just can't fully come to terms with the fact that my future-husband wants to be, well, the mommy. I feel so awful about the way I feel, and I know I need to deal with it before we get married.

Help!
Lara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, however if you can afford to have a parent home then you are lucky most families need both incomes to maintain the lifestyle they are accustomed to. If you are not sure you would want to be home then I would think he would be the next best thing. Besides it will not be forever and once he starts "living the dream" he may soon discover there is alot more to it then watching the baby sleep. It is a 24 hour day 7 days a week then throw in the other chores that need to be taken care of around the house on a daily basis and he may just run back to his job, with the paycheck and regularly scheduled breaks. Good Luck

Angela said...

Good morning,
My husband wanted to be an at home dad as well, but it didn't make sense as he made more money than me in his job. If this hadn't been the case, I would have been more than happy to share the maternity leave with my husband. What gives the mother the right to take the entire year off? If you are financially able, I think it is only fair to share the responsibilities. We are very lucky to get one year off here in Canada and that is a long time.
If your husband then wants to stay home after the maternity or parental leave is over, I would consider myself very lucky. Not having to send my children to a babysitter and having them be home with either of their parents would be an amazing thing for me! I love our babysitter, but no one is as good as mommy or daddy.
I do agree with Moya. Lara - you need to work this out before you get married as this could be a big stress on you both.
Good luck!
Regards,
Angela