Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Son Is Six Years Old . . . And I Don't Let Him Watch TV



Dear Breakfast Club,

I need some advice from your listeners.

You're always told that TV rots kids brains, and I'm a firm believer in that.

I have a six-year-old son, and I prefer that he read instead of watch TV. In fact, to keep him from watching TV, I don't even own a television. And when he goes over to a friend's house, he has to call me to tell me if they're watching TV.

Is it wrong for me to not let me six-year-old watch television? At what age should kids start watching TV? How bad is it for kids? Do other parents not allow their kids to watch TV?

I'm really looking forward to what your listeners have to say.

Angie

5 comments:

V Stevens said...

Hmmm! To not own a TV to prevent him from watching it seems a little extreme. I have 3 grown children, of which I allowed TV with no time restriction......One is second year Med student, One is an RCMP officier, and one is a Pipefitter. YEAH !!! Need I say more.

Jennifer said...

DVR. I record their favorite shows then let them watch them. I have a 3yr old and a 7yr old and of course they have different interests on TV. So, while the younger is playing the older watches his recorded shows like Scooby-Doo and he knows how to fast forward through the commercials. Then lets the youger one watch his shows like Backyardigans. Works great!
My older one then plays Scooby-Doo or Clone Wars with his friends and they use their imagination. Not a bad thing at all!!

Nancy said...

Whatever anyone says YOU are the parent and you are not harming or abusing your child by restricting TV. He WILL see it somewhere and that's fine, but the rules in your house are yours and no one should try to make you feel guilty for enforcing them. Good for you for encouraging your child to do other activities than watch TV.

Anonymous said...

I believe you need as a parent to help guide your children to appropriate viewing, not necessarily avoid the experience all together. Everything in moderation was always part of my parenting set. I have two children a nurse and a business owner. I believe they turned out fine.

Anonymous said...

Seems a bit extreme to me especially since the child calls home from a friends house if they are watching tv...it may harm him socially as children can sometimes be mean and may make fun of him or leave him out of playdates and parties while the other children attend...