Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday the 13th

It's Friday the 13th. "So what? ", you ask. Well, a lot of people take this sort of thing very seriously. Consider this, More than 80% of hotels and high-rise buildings do not have a 13th floor. You hardly ever see the number 13 in an elevator. Athletes, who are notoriously superstitious, often ask for another number other than 13 on their jerseys. Many airports do not have a Gate 13. Hospitals regularly avoid having a Room 13. In Italy, they omit the number 13 from their national lottery. Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue. In France, socialites known as “quatorziens” (or “fourteeners”) once made themselves available to keep a dinner party from having 13 guests. The ill-fated Apollo 13 mission to the moon was launched on April 13th at 13:13 local time.

Here's the bottom line. What superstitions, if any, do you believe in.

10 comments:

Icia said...

Having been brought up in a Polish family (mother's side), superstitions were rampant! However, I chose to debunk every one of them, and consequently do not have even one...nada. In fact, I just walked under a ladder the other day :)

April Durnford said...

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that one of the best things in my life happened on Friday 13th and that was the day my son was born. He is now 5 years old. I also realized after hearing you guys talking about it this morning that his name also has 13 letters in it.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely not superstitious... as a matter of fact, I was born on Friday the 13th. I get insulted when people avoid the number 13...It's just a number people!

Anonymous said...

Hey Peter, until recently I had the same crow superstitions as you. I was always looking for that second annoying black bird. Then I saw an episode of Extreme Makeover - Home Edition where this woman was a big fan of ravens and crows. Her belief is they are people who've passed on and are a sign they are looking over us.

Another superstition and maybe hard one to believe, but now that one crow doesn't bother me so much. However, I will admit .. I still hunt for the second one!

Anonymous said...

Question .. there is a saying about sneezing.

Sneeze on Monday sneeze for sorrow ..
Sneeze on Friday see your sweetheart tomorrow ..

I don't know what it is and the above probably isn't correct .. but do any of you know this one?

piglet123 said...

just pat lots of black cats and you'll be okay!

Anonymous said...

Found it .. the net is great.

Guess Sunday is a day of rest for this too.

Sneeze on Monday, sneeze for danger;
Sneeze on Tuesday, kiss a stranger;
Sneeze on Wednesday, get a letter;
Sneeze on Thursday, something better;
Sneeze on Friday, sneeze for sorrow;
Sneeze on Saturday, see your sweetheart to-morrow.

Anonymous said...

My mother's birthday is on june 13th, and everytime it lands on a friday, she takes the Friday off and the rest of the weekend off. Something always goes wrong for her on that day regardless if she is working or not.
Still love ya mom!

Anonymous said...

All the fires Started on Friday the 13th

Anonymous said...

I am definitely supersticious however not all things I hear bother me.

To break a mirror would terrify me - 7 years bad luck.

I don't walk under ladders - they or a tool being used above could fall on me... not a supersticion just common sense.

Some supersticions seem to be taken earnestly others are laughed at??